Metro Community Health Center
Metro Community Health Center Mission Statement:
- To care for the whole person in a safe and respectful setting.
- To encourage patients to partner with our clinicians and staff in planning their care.
- To be guided by the needs of our patients.
- To respond to those needs with respect for the individual and their beliefs about health and healing.
- To serve Wilkinsburg, Swissvale and the neighboring communities by offering healthcare to all people, at every stage of life, without regard to their ability to pay.
- To serve the uninsured, underinsured, HIV positive, and the LGBT residents of the region.
Metro Community Health Center, formerly known as Metro Family Practice, Inc. (MFP) was established in 1999 and received Federally Qualified Health Center Look Alike (FQHC-LA) status in 2002. Several characteristics make our practice unique, including (1) our commitment to reaching out to underserved members of our community; (2) our philosophy of holistic, patient-centered healthcare; (3) our reputation for providing culturally sensitive care to various populations; and (4) the fact that our practice was established by a community-driven call answered by physicians in direct response to the declining availability of healthcare in our service area.
In the mid-1990’s, a decrease in clinical services occurred when Forbes Health System sold Forbes Metro Hospital and relocated its physicians to other parts of the county. Following the close of the hospital, several private practices and the hospital emergency room in the neighborhood also closed their doors. A community needs assessment revealed that these closures created a growing unmet demand for primary care services. A group of physicians with an intensive background in community and preventive medicine answered this call, recognizing that this unmet need would only be magnified as healthcare services moved out of the area. In order to maintain and increase access to care, this group of physicians formed Metro Family Practice, Inc., a community health center.