Family Physician Needed in Beautiful Tioga County, PA
Join the Laurel Health Team
The Laurel Health Centers offer a wide range of services for all age groups. From primary and acute care to long-term and preventive health services, we have continually expanded our capabilities to meet the changing needs of our patients. As we continue to change, one thing will remain constant—our dedication to the health and well-being of the communities we serve.
The history of the Laurel Health Centers can be traced back to the former Blossburg State General Hospital. Located at 520 Ruah Street in Blossburg, the hospital was built in 1890. Known as the Cottage State Hospital for Injured Persons of the Bituminous and Semi-Bituminous Coal Regions of Pennsylvania, it was established under the Act of June 14, 1887. The Hospital, constructed on eight acres of land donated by the residents of Blossburg, opened its doors on February 19, 1891.
The original building consisted of two wards built of wood forming the north and south wings of the central brick administration building. There was also an annex building for isolating contagious patients. In all, there were 39 beds in the main building and 12 in the annex. Supplemental buildings included an ice house, barn and open carriage shed.
The first physician was Dr. H. E. Caldwell, who was assisted by a matron, Mrs. A. E. Strait, and two nurses.
In 1917, a school for nurses was started at the Blossburg State General Hospital. The school closed in 1929. During its 12 years, the school graduated a total of 56 nurses.
The Commonwealth of Pennsylvania closed the Blossburg State General Hospital in 1972. Concerned about the loss of a medical facility in the immediate area, a group of Blossburg area residents organized North Penn Comprehensive Health Services (NPCHS), chartered as a non-profit organization. North Penn leased the former hospital building from the Commonwealth and opened its first family health center there in March of 1973. In 1974, the Mansfield Family Health Center was added, and, in 1975, the Cowanesque Valley Health Center.
Over the years, North Penn continued to grow and expand by adding other services in response to requests by area residents. Beginning in August 1973, North Penn Home and Center Services, now called Senior Support Services, began providing services to elderly residents. Exactly one year later, in August 1974, the Endless Mountains Treatment Center opened its doors to treat drug and alcohol patients.
North Penn Comprehensive Health Services continued to provide these services to Tioga County residents. In 1988, the organization entered a management contract with Soldiers and Sailors Memorial Hospital. Ultimately, its primary services were renamed the Laurel Health Centers and Laurel Behavioral Health.
As past history so clearly shows, improvement and expansion of community health care services relies on funding from local philanthropists. The Laurel Health Centers express their sincere gratitude for past support, and look to the Tioga County community for continued support in new endeavors.