Esperanza Health Center
The North Philadelphia community that Esperanza Health Center has served for nearly three decades includes the densely-populated neighborhoods of Upper Kensington, Hunting Park, Fairhill/St. Hugh, Harrowgate, Feltonville and Juniata Park. Nearly one out of every five Philadelphia residents lives in our community, which is the largest Hispanic community in the city and is among the largest Puerto Rican communities in the United States.
The residents of Esperanza’s North Philadelphia community face many significant barriers to obtaining even the most basic healthcare services:
- Of the more than 285,000 residents of our community, two-thirds live in households with incomes at or below 200% of the poverty level.
- Nearly one in five people in our community do not have health insurance.
- Almost all of our community is designated as a Federal Medically Underserved Area.
- All of North Philadelphia is a Dental Healthcare Professional Shortage area.
- Language and transportation barriers prevent many from obtaining basic healthcare services.
Since our founding in 1989, Esperanza has been committed to providing access to affordable, high-quality bilingual healthcare and wellness services, as we pursue health together with our patients and our community.
“Compelled by the love of God in Christ Jesus, in cooperation with the Church and others, Esperanza Health Center is a multi-cultural ministry providing holistic healthcare to the Latino and underserved communities of Philadelphia.”
About Esperanza Health Center
At Esperanza Health Center, we seek to provide high-quality, affordable health care in Jesus’ name, and we are committed to the promotion of our community’s health and well-being. We do this by: